So, I must admit that my blog’s actual homepage is pretty bland. I’m looking to give it a makeover, but since I’m artistically challenged, I need your help. I’m looking for a fan of the blog who’s interested in fame, my undying appreciation, and some science-themed schwag to help me jazz up my blog!
Here are the rules:
- I need someone to design a banner/logo for this website. If you’re legitimately interested in designing something, contact me and I’ll send you some specifics as to what I’m looking for. Ideally, if you come up with a banner, you will also suggest a tumblr theme and color profile to complement the banner. I also have no experience with web design, so some very mild technical support (just in terms of actually using your graphics for my site) would be nice, although I’m willing to put in the work myself.
- When it comes to choosing a winner, I have sole authority to approve or reject any submission for any reason. I’m not super picky, but I want this site to look schnazzy. So sorry, your submission won’t get selected just by your effort alone. That being said, I have a heart, and I would feel really bad about rejecting someone’s submission that they spent a lot of time on. So, two tips. First, don’t spend a ton of time on this project - it’s just a web banner in the end. Second, contact me before you put in the work. I’m happy to discuss design concepts or preliminary sketches with you before you submit.
- I am not in a rush to get the site revamped, but I also don’t want to wait around forever. Therefore, I’m setting a loose deadline of December 1 for all submissions. If someone submits a design I really love before then, I reserve the right to end the contest early (and I will of course announce it if that’s the case). If you don’t want to be scooped, be sure to contact me soon so I know you’re interested in submitting something.
- What’s in it for you? First, you’ll get credit, both on my About page (or some other similar link) and, if the theme permits, on the home page itself. I will also happily write a post promoting your design work or personal blog to my nearly 40,000 followers. Second, I’m a college student, so I’m not flush with cash* but I can offer you some sweet science goodies. As a thank-you, I’ll send you some buckyballs, miracle berries, and probably some candy or whatever else I think you’ll like.
- Legal crap. I don’t plan to profit from this site ever, but if I ever decide to cash in, and your creative work contributes significantly to the profitability, I promise to contact you and work out some fair arrangement. Otherwise, you relinquish the rights to the banner/logo.
So, if you like this blog and want to do me a huge favor, please contact me for more information! You guys are awesome, I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
*I realize it’s often seen as obnoxious to ask graphic designers to do design work for free. So, if you’re prone to being offended by such queries, this contest isn’t for you!